The MARIOT partnership will develop a satellite-based maritime IoT network and demonstrate selected maritime/Arctic services using our own MARIOT-1 satellite.
Maritime authorities and the global maritime industry have identified a range of needs for safety and navigational services in the form of the e-Navigation strategy anchored under United Nations/IMO. The VDES standard, an extension to the popular AIS technology, has been specified as the new communications channel for e-Navigation. These will form the starting point of the MARIOT project.
The project has set up the following key objectives:
- Improve security and efficiency while reducing environmental impact from maritime activities in arctic and other naval waters by enabling novel global coverage e-Navigation services for all ships in all waters.
- Develop the first commercial global satellite-based maritime VDE-SAT infrastructure.
- Launch the MARIOT-1 satellite to demonstrate selected VDE-SAT e-Navigation services in the arctic.
- Develop the satellite system as a scalable blue-print allowing the project partners to provide world-wide commercial e-Navigation products and services.
- Build on previous research projects, use international open standards and feed back experience to the research community and standardization groups.
In the News: Online media coverage of the project can be found here.